Special requirements for the installation and interconnection structure design of heavy copper pcbs, extreme copper pcbs and Powerlink technology, as well as other forms of components containing copper weight ≥ 3oz / ft2. Some parts of this standard are only guidelines and should be noted.
The requirements contained in this standard are intended to establish design recommendations for use in conjunction with the design principles listed in ipc-2221 and ipc-2222. The intended use of the standard is designed by printed circuit board designers who add copper weighing more than 3 oz / ft 2 into the product.
General design considerations
General parameters to be considered before and during the design of any printed circuit board, but mainly for boards with copper weight ≥ 3oz / ft2. The following parameters may and will have a significant impact on the reliability and performance of the final product. EPEC considers the parameters listed in this section to be the minimum values to be considered. Ipc-2221 shows a comprehensive list of all parameters and their design / performance tradeoffs.
Final product requirements
The requirements of the final product must be understood before the design is launched. Repair and maintenance of the final product will directly affect conductor routing, part placement, board size, marking, coating and final surface treatment.
The printed circuit boards produced by EPEC meet or exceed the performance requirements of ipc-6011. Ipc-6011 establishes three common final product performance levels. The first category is “general electronic products”, the second category is “special service electronic products”, and the third category is “high reliability electronic products”. For more information about these three categories, see ipc-6011 or ipc-2221. EPEC requires that all products be classified, and any exceptions or supplements to the specifications should be clearly indicated on the main drawing.
The advantages of heavy copper and extreme copper pcbs include:
- The bearing capacity of thermal stress is increased;
- The carrying capacity increases;
- The position of connector and mechanical strength in PTH hole are improved;
- Make full use of exotic materials (such as high temperature) without circuit failure;
- The product size is reduced by combining several copper weights on the same circuit layer;
- Heavy copper plated vias flow higher current through the circuit board and help transfer heat to the external radiator.
- The on-board radiator is directly plated on the surface of the plate with up to 120 ounces of copper;
- On board high power density planar transformer.
Heavy copper and extreme copper pcb Applications:
- High power distribution
- Planar transformer;
- dissipate heat;
- Power converter
- Amplification system;
- Solar panel manufacturers;
- Power controller;
- Welding equipment;
- Bus bar – copper is lighter weight – lower cost.